Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jumping Jaunty

Installed Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope the day after my exams got over. Still figuring out the differences to previous versions. Here are some things that I noticed.

  • There have been changes in the notifications. But I prefer the previous method of showing system updates via an icon in taskbar rather than update window popping up every 5-10 mins.
  • The system boots up much faster than any other OS on ext4 file system. Recorded 40s in my AMD Sempron 1.8GHz /712MB system
  • There doesn't seem to be much difference in the looks, Gnome keeps it neat as usual.
  • One interesting new application is the computer janitor which is like a customizable apt-cache cleaner.
  • Most of my previous softwares work properly in this version. Had problems with APTonCD, but found a fix: aptoncd_0.1-1_all.deb for Jaunty.

No comments:

Post a Comment